NIH Other Support
NIH Disclosure of Other Support
Disclosure of other support has long been required by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) for the Principal Investigator and all key personnel. The NIH asks for this information to ensure:
- All resources, domestic or foreign, directly supporting the individual’s research endeavors have been reported
- Sufficient levels of effort are committed to the project
- There is no scientific, budgetary, or commitment overlap
- Only funds necessary to the approved project are included in the award
- Any foreign resources that meet the definition of a foreign component have received appropriate prior approval.
IMPORTANT NOTE: NIH expects applicants and recipients to use the updated Other Support form for applications, Just-in-Time (JIT) reports and Research Performance Progress Reports (RPPRs) as of May 25, 2021. NIH will require the use of the updated format pages for the previously mentioned submissions for anything on or after January 25, 2022. Failure to follow the appropriate formats on or after January 25, 2022 may cause NIH to withdraw applications from or delay consideration of funding. (See NOT-OD-21-110)
What is Other Support?
Other Support is defined as all resources made available to a researcher in support of and/or related to all of their research endeavors, regardless of whether or not they have monetary value and regardless of whether or not they are based at the institution the researchers identify in the current grant. This includes resources and/or financial support from all entities, foreign or domestic, including, but not limited to, financial support for laboratory personnel and provision of high-value materials that are not freely available (e.g. biologics, chemicals, model systems, technology, etc.). Other support does not include training awards, prizes, or gifts.
When determining what to disclose as Other Support, keep in mind the following concepts:
- Other Support includes all resources to which you have access, not just the grants and contracts that support your research
- Other Support includes resources that do not have a dollar value attached to them as well as those that do. For the purposes of disclosure, you may be asked to provide a reasonable estimate of the value of those items that do not have a specific dollar value.
- Other Support includes resources that are potentially related to your research in addition to those that directly support your work.
- Other Support includes resources available to you at other institutions outside of Rutgers and in other countries outside of the U.S.A.
PIs and all key personnel may wish to use this questionnaire to help ensure that all appropriate disclosures are made to the NIH. Remember that it is the responsibility of faculty members and key personnel to validate that they have included all pertinent information in their Other Support disclosures, including activities that occur outside of Rutgers.
Other Support Submissions
Other Support information is requested during the “just-in-time” procedure for grant applications and during the reporting of progress (the RPPR). When a recipient organization discovers that a PI, or other Senior/Key personnel, on an active NIH grant failed to disclose Other Support information outside of Just-in-Time or the RPPR, as applicable, the recipient must submit updated Other Support to the Grants Management Specialist named in the Notice of Award as soon as it becomes known.
- NIH’s Other Support page
- NOT-OD-19-114 (dated July 10, 2019)
- NOT-OD-21-073 (dated March 12, 2021, effective May 25, 2021)
- NOT-OD-21-110 (dated April 28, 2021)
- NIH Foreign Component Definition
- NIH Other Support and Foreign Component FAQs
- NIH Grants Policy Statement Section 184.108.40.206 requiring prior approval for a foreign component in a grant
- Protection U.S. Biomedical Intellectual Innovation – with grid detailing what must be disclosed, how and where during the application and awarding process.
- Inquiries related to NIH’s biographical sketch and other support templates can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.