Innovation Ventures Senior Internship: Technology Marketing & Business Development
Technology Commercialization is an exciting and challenging field. One of the major challenges in technology commercialization is how to turn university innovations into collaborations with industry to develop, market, and sell products based on the university’s intellectual property (IP). Marketing technologies and establishing successful partnerships remain a key aspect of the technology commercialization process that requires collaboration and a broad range of expertise. At Innovation Ventures (the Technology Transfer Unit of Rutgers University), you will have this opportunity to learn and implement our marketing processes, and work with several stakeholders towards the successful partnership of a technology.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Innovation Ventures Technology Marketing & Business Development (TMBD) team invites Rutgers Masters, PhD, and Post-Doctoral candidates to apply for a 1-year Senior Internship Program beginning Summer 2023. This is an excellent opportunity to explore career opportunities in broad scientific knowledge, basic business insight and acumen, recognizing potential innovations, and moving technologies into the commercialization phase through marketing.
- Two Sr. Interns will be trained on processes that constitute all of our marketing efforts:
- Interact with the Licensing Team to better understand the IP around the technology.
- Get trained on Minuet™, a new enterprise ecosystem from Inteum Company to help manage intellectual property portfolio.
- Market Rutgers technologies through production of promotional digital content and non-confidential 1-pager documents which will be exported to our online Tech Finder site.
- Get trained on Data Analytics and Consulting tools to identify potential industry partners.
- Communicate with industry and promote Rutgers technologies.
- Participate in business development meetings with potential partners.
- Coordinate Innovation Ventures Road to Commercialization Symposium Series and other promotional events.
- Participate in the Innovation Ventures Technology Transfer Internship education series held late summer-early Fall. Topics include marketing of technologies, interacting with industry, and the basics of IP.
- Train the incoming Senior Interns.
- Must be currently enrolled in Rutgers Masters or PhD program with an expected graduation date of December 2024 (or later) or is a current Post-Doctoral candidate at Rutgers.
- Background in STEM, Social/Behavioral Sciences, Law, or Business.
- Commitment of minimum of 10 hours/week (or up to 20 hours/week). Ability to work onsite and remotely.
- For PhD candidates: Completed coursework necessary for the degree and passed the applicable qualifying exams for PhD candidacy. Must be in good academic standing and get approval from academic advisor.
- Team player, good communication skills and has a passion for marketing and business development.
- Cover letter: (answer the following)
- Tell us about yourself and what motivated you to apply?
- Where do you see yourself after you graduate?
- How and why will this program help you get there?
- Resume (2-page limit) and unofficial transcript.
- Written permission from your research advisor or faculty advisor.
This Internship program is highly competitive, and no one is guaranteed admittance. Shortlisted candidates will be scheduled for interviews early June 2023. The 2 selected Senior Interns will need to sign a confidentiality agreement with Innovation Ventures. This is an unpaid position. There is no implied or guaranteed offer of employment upon completion of the Internship. A certificate of program completion and a letter of recommendation will be provided as requested.