Research Sponsored Programs FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

  • ORSP has created multiple budget templates to assist you in the formation of your budget. These templates are for internal use only and do not replace any agency-required forms. 

  • Institutional Information contains the administrative information necessary to complete a grant application

  • As soon as you contemplate submitting a proposal for funding you should alert the Grant Specialist assigned to your department. Provide any information that you have such as the RFP or Program Announcement. This will allow the GS to both review the guidelines for any unusual requirements, and to get you on the schedule.

  • The majority of all proposals submitted are submitted by the RSP grant specialist on behalf of the PI and institution. There are a limited number of agencies that require the PI to do the actual submission. However, even for those submissions, the PI must first submit the proposal for review to the RSP. Once reviewed, the PI will be notified that it is acceptable to submit the proposal.

  • The closeout process for sponsored programs awards is a post-award activity and is handled by the Division of Grant and Contract accounting. Information regarding the process can be accessed here

  • Contact your grant specialist immediately and forward the contract to the RSP office. RSP is authorized by the Board of Governor’s resolution to negotiate and sign on behalf of the university.

  • The Office of Proposal Development (OPD), provides grantsmanship, grant writing, and proposal development support services and resources to the Rutgers community to improve the quality and increase the quantity of research and educational proposals to external funding sources, including state and federal agencies and private foundations.

  • Contact your grant specialist immediately. All revised budgets or other agency-requested changes must be reviewed and approved by the RSP office before they are sent to the agency. It is best to allow the RSP office to forward all requested changes to the agency.

  • An institutionally signed Letter of Intent along with the scope of work, budget, budget justification, and any other agency-required forms must be received and reviewed by the RSP before the proposal can be submitted.

  • At the proposal stage, the information will be collected from potential sub-recipient(s) via the Subrecipient Commitment Form. If funding is granted, RSP will use this information to execute an official subcontract at the award stage. Please contact for inquiries or more information regarding outgoing subawards.

  • The Office for Research has links to all central administrative offices that deal with research at the university.

  • The NIH Grants Policy Statement (link to Part II: Subpart A–File 3 of 5 Selected Items of Cost) contains allowable and unallowable items with explanations.

  • You can obtain the appropriate F&A rate to use from reviewing the Rutgers or RBHS rate agreements or by contacting the grant specialist assigned to your unit.

  • Sponsored research projects are considered “on-campus” if they reside in any building or on any property owned by the University and the majority (50% or greater) of project effort is expended at that site, no matter the location. Such projects must apply the “on-campus” F&A rate to their budget and expenditures. To be considered “off-campus” greater than 50% of the effort (as determined by the budget) of a project must be done at a location not part of Rutgers. Personnel charges, supplies and equipment procurement charges, travel arrangements, are all typical examples of “on-campus” charges even if the actual usage is “off-campus”.

  • Clinical trials at Rutgers are largely conducted through the schools, centers, and institutes of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences. Within Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences, the Clinical Research Organization is the gateway to our statewide clinical trial activities for Rutgers researchers, investigators, and patients. The organization facilitates collaboration between industry and academia in designing and implementing clinical trials and helps patients find clinical trials at Rutgers. 

  • Financial Conflict of Interest can be defined as

                       a.   A situation that has the potential to undermine the impartiality of a person because of the possibility of a clash between the person's self-interest and professional interest or public interest;

                       b.   A principle in which outside activities, relationships, or financial interests of a recipient are determined to be proper or improper to prevent an individual from appearing to be motivated by private gain.

  • Simply stated, misconduct in research is

                      a.   Fabrication, falsification, plagiarism, or other practices that seriously deviate from those that are commonly accepted within the relevant discipline for proposing, conducting, or reporting research

                      b.   A material failure to comply with University, Federal or State policies regulating the use of human subjects, the welfare of laboratory animals, or other aspects of the conduct of research.

  • Immediately reach out to the RSP subcontract team at to alert them. They will then contact you for additional information, review the subcontract terms and conditions, and then alert the Sponsored Programs Office of the subawardee to discuss the issues and concerns. Before the subaward can be terminated, the issues must be documented and the letter of termination is prepared and handled by the ORSP subaward team in conjunction with the PI.

  • Contact your Grant Specialist immediately. The existing contract was negotiated by RSP and contained the agreed-upon scope of work. A request to add additional tasks requires a modification to the contract.  Regardless of how small the change might appear, any change renders the existing contract null and void and can jeopardize the ability of Rutgers to receive payment for services rendered.

  • No, NIH requires notification of the departure of any key personnel and an explanation of how the work will be handled in lieu of the removal of this person. Additionally, if a replacement has already been found, a written request to replace the key personnel along with a copy of the CV of the new candidate and a justification of their skills must be included.

  • No, major equipment cannot be purchased in the last year of a grant without special permission of the grants officer assuming the use of the centrifuge is associated with the work associated with the grant in question. Work with your GS in RSP to forward your request to your grants officer.

Accordion Content