Innovation Ventures Senior Internship: New Ventures
Technology Commercialization is an exciting and challenging field. One major path to translating early-stage Rutgers innovations to impact for the benefit of society is through the formation of new ventures to develop, market, and sell products based on the university’s intellectual property (IP). At Innovation Ventures, you will have the opportunity to see and support the venture formation process from early identification through team building, business plan formulation, licensing, investment, and company launch.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Innovation Ventures New Ventures team invites Rutgers Masters, PhD, and Post-Doctoral candidates to apply for a 1-year Senior Internship Program beginning Summer 2023. This is an excellent opportunity to explore a career in technology-based innovation and entrepreneurship, encompassing broad scientific knowledge, business insight and acumen, recognizing market opportunities, and moving innovations into the commercialization phase through venture formation.
- Senior New Ventures Interns will participate in all aspects of supporting start-ups based on Rutgers innovations, including:
- Map and understand the innovation ecosystem specifically as it relates to University innovations, including incubators, accelerators, and investors.
- Interact with the Licensing Team to better understand the IP and commercial markets around technologies and identify startup opportunities.
- Support founder teams to develop business and financial models and pitch decks, including for investors and SBIR audiences.
- Maintain a database of startups based on Rutgers innovations.
- Participate in the Innovation Ventures Technology Transfer Internship education series held late summer-early Fall. Topics include marketing of technologies, interacting with industry, and the basics of IP.
- Train the incoming Senior Interns.
- Must be currently enrolled in Rutgers MBA, Masters or PhD program with an expected graduation date of December 2024 (or later) or is a current Post-Doctoral candidate at Rutgers.
- Background in STEM, Social/Behavioral Sciences, Law, or Business.
- Commitment of minimum of 10 hours/week (or up to 20 hours/week). Ability to work onsite and remotely.
- For PhD candidates: Completed coursework necessary for the degree and passed the applicable qualifying exams for PhD candidacy. Must be in good academic standing and get approval from academic advisor.
- Team player, good communication skills and has a passion for entrepreneurship, marketing, and business development.
- Cover letter: (answer the following)
- Tell us about yourself and what motivated you to apply?
- Where do you see yourself professionally after you graduate?
- How and why will this program help you get there?
- Resume (2-page limit) and unofficial transcript.
- Written permission from your research advisor or faculty advisor.
This Internship program is highly competitive, and no one is guaranteed admittance. Shortlisted candidates will be scheduled for interviews during early June 2023. Selected Senior Interns will need to sign a confidentiality agreement with Innovation Ventures. This is an unpaid position. There is no implied or guaranteed offer of employment upon completion of the Internship. A certificate of program completion and a letter of recommendation will be provided as requested.