Innovation Ventures Senior Fellowship: New Ventures
Technology Commercialization is an exciting and challenging field. One major path to translating early-stage university innovations to impact for the benefit of society is through the formation of new ventures to develop, market and sell products based on the university’s intellectual property (IP). At Innovation Ventures, you will have the opportunity to see and support the venture formation process from early identification through team building, business plan formulation, licensing, investment, and company launch.
WHO SHOULD APPLY:
Innovation Ventures New Ventures team invites Rutgers Masters, PhD, and Post-Doctoral candidates to apply for a 1-year Senior Fellowship Program beginning Summer 2022. This is an excellent opportunity to explore a career in technology based innovation and entrepreneurship, encompassing broad scientific knowledge, business insight and acumen, recognizing market opportunities and moving innovations into the commercialization phase through venture formation.
- Senior New Ventures Fellows will participate in all aspects of supporting start-ups based on Rutgers innovations, including:
- Map and understand the innovation ecosystem specifically as it relates to University innovations, including incubators, accelerators, and investors
- Interact with the Licensing Team to better understand the IP and commercial markets around technologies and identify startup opportunities.
- Support founder teams to develop business and financial models and pitch decks, including for investors and SBIR audiences
- Maintain a database of startups based on Rutgers innovations
- Participate in the Innovation Ventures Technology Transfer Fellowship education series held late summer-early Fall. Topics include marketing of technologies, interacting with industry, and the basics of IP.
- Train the in-coming Senior Fellows.
- Earn $20-25/hour (Subject to University policies/Departmental criteria).
- Must be currently enrolled in Rutgers MBA, Masters or PhD program with an expected graduation date of December 2023 (or later) or is a current Post-Doctoral candidate at Rutgers.
- Background in one of the following areas: STEM, Social/Behavioral Sciences, Law, or Business.
- Commitment of minimum of 10 hours/week (could be full time over summer). Ability to work onsite and remotely.
- For PhD candidates: Completed coursework necessary for the degree and passed the applicable qualifying exams for PhD candidacy. Must be in good academic standing and get approval from academic advisor.
- Team player, good communication skills and has a passion for marketing and business development.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Cover letter: (answer the following)
- Tell us about yourself and what motivated you to apply?
- Where do you see yourself professionally after you graduate?
- How and why will this program help you get there?
- Resume (2-page limit) and unofficial transcript.
- Written permission from your research advisor or faculty advisor.
This Fellowship program is highly competitive, and no one is guaranteed admittance. Shortlisted candidates will be scheduled for interviews during mid-May until mid-June 2022. Selected Senior Fellows will need to sign a confidentiality agreement with Innovation Ventures. There is no implied or guaranteed offer of employment upon completion of the Fellowship. A certificate of program completion and a letter of recommendation will be provided as requested.